Sunday, August 7, 2011

A Set 20 Years in the Making


So back in 1993 when I was about 13 years old, I was getting into the full swing of my comic collection.  I was collecting the "Death of Superman" storyline, and two weeks before the much anticipated death I was grounded.  Due to some (imaginary, I'm sure) crime I was grounded indefinitely by my mother and my comics were confiscated.  And I missed the last two parts, Superman: the Man of Steel #19 and the tragic Superman #75.

The grounding didn't last and I was able to track down the opening pieces for Funeral of a Friend and then collected the rest of that storyline and the following Reign of the Supermen.  However, I for whatever reason just never got around to getting those last two issues.  Someone bought me the trade of the whole storyline so I got to read it a year after it happened so I knew how it went, and it never occurred to me to even bother tracking it down.

Well last October at the New York Comic-Con I was browsing through a bin of $1 comics and happened upon a great copy of Man of Steel #18 so clearly I picked it up (I mean who can resist a cheap comic you KNOW you don't have), and then went about my buying rampage.

Well just today when I picked up this week's comics, I'm a little behind since the move, I took a sweep through the 50 cent boxes at my local comic store, A & S Comics in Teaneck, NJ, I found a copy of my long anticipated Superman #75.  And the set was complete!

Now clearly it wasn't wrapped in its black polybagged with the armband (but was still in excellent condition), and if I really wanted that I would drop $15 on a copy online. However, I can finally say, 18 year later, that I have the complete storyline, and my followers no how particular I get about having full sets of stuff (now a days I won't even read a story until I have all the parts) so to me this is a huge deal for a great price!

No comments:

Post a Comment