Tuesday, September 13, 2011

Flash Review - 9/7/11

Here's the Flash Review for 9/7/11.  I've been really happy with these small weeks at the comic store, been able to give me wallet a bit of a break!  Other then X-Factor, my favorite this week is probably the New Avengers Annual, and the one I could have probably done without, and this won't surprise anyone, was the Fear Itself: Wolverine issue, just not into this series...



Fear Itself: Wolverine #3 – Well what’s there to say…at least it’s over.  I know I’m being a bit repetitive with this, but this was absolutely the worst limited series I ever read.  It had NOTHING to do with the entire Fear Itself crossover, and it’s only redeeming factor was that I got to know Melita Garner a bit.  I think this was a really terrible attempt by Marvel to make us buy more books under the illusion of a Fear Itself tie-in.

Heroes For Hire #11 – This was a fairly good tie-in for Fear Itself.  I don’t follow the series too closely so I don’t have a lot of commentary on these issues, but it was really exciting to see Elektra in action since I haven’t followed her since her late 90’s solo series.  I’m also really interested in seeing more of this “Monstrosity” character, but it might have to be in other books since the next issue is labeled “The Final Hire”

New Avengers Annual #1 – WOW!  I already know that some people didn’t like this storyline and those people I say, “Bah!” This was an excellent issue!  This goes back to the very beginning of the current Avengers series when a very angry and unpleasant Wonder Man was asked to rejoin the Avengers and harshly turned it down.  It’s also nice to see the follow through on this story as they explain that he’s been behind the scenes trying to sabotage the Avengers teams since they reformed.  What really grabbed me was his new team, the Revengers, which is full of former (and in some cases thought-dead) Avengers and Avengers-related characters.  I am a little shocked at how easily the New Avengers were taken out, and the battle seemed a bit rushed, but I am still really excited to see the next battle with the main Avengers team.

X-men (Vol. 3) – Considering this is the “add-on” X-men book, I never expect much out of this series.  That being said, this issue and this storyline are…ok.  It seems like a generic Savage Land story (except that it’s not the Savage Land) with the X-men (kinda) and the Fantastic Four (kinda).  One high point is the reappearance of Lee Forrester!  As the human woman who dated Cyclops AND Magneto, she’s a tough chick and a perfect stand-in for Shanna the She-Devil, but how many lost at sea/hidden island storylines are we really going to see with her?  Emma: Hilarious as usual.  Doom betrayed everyone? Surprise!!  Not a bad storyline and definitely one of the better ones they’ve told in this book.  Makes me very anxious for when Storm takes over during ReGenesis!

No comments:

Post a Comment