Monday, September 5, 2011

Flash Review - 8/31/11

This week the comic gods answered my prayers and gave me a nice light week so that me and my wallet could take a breather.  So all I have for you in this week’s Flash Review from Marvel is Gambit, Fear Itself and Secret Avengers, but we also got a special treat from Dark Horse Comics as Buffy Season 9 began with Angel & Faith!
 
Angel & Faith #1 – With the exception of a few flashbacks and one seemingly simple battle with a Plagiarus demon this premier issue lacked a ton of major action…BUT…that didn’t stop it from being an awesome installment!  We got some flashbacks of Giles, some back story as to what Faith and Angel have been up to and we got set up with villains, plotlines, and foils for the entire series.  In true Joss Whedon style we got a ton of valuable information without it being shoved down our throats.  I can’t wait to see where Season 9 goes!

Gambit and the Champions: From the Marvel Vault – What is there to say?  This was terrible.  They took old art, had writers add new words to it, and through on the shelves.  I’ll just assume that this story was set in some alternate universe where everyone talks even more awkwardly then usual and Johnny Blaze has a serious southern drawl (“I reckon y’all should let me fry his soul and be done with it”, really Ghostie? Do ya reckon?)  I totally understand that it was a tribute to George Tuska and was not meant to be taken as a serious story but still, for $2.99 they should put a little more effort into the dialogue and production value.

Fear Itself: The Deep #3 – To be honest, if this came out in a week when there were 8 other tie-in issues I may not have liked it.  I found that I actually liked this makeshift Defenders team.  I wasn’t really enjoying Namor’s time with the X-men, he never seemed to fit in really, so I am glad that he and Loa (who used to just be another X-kid) have another place to land.  I also like Lyra more and more every time I see her (which admittedly isn’t much since I don’t follow Hulk comics) and of course Dr. Strange and Silver Surfer are always exciting to watch (although I wonder how the Surfer is here when he is supposedly busy in space being an Annihilator).  Great battle with Tiger Shark and an awesome cliffhanger of Attuma, this has definitely been one of the better Fear Itself minis.

Secret Avengers #16 – Eh...It’s just the “other Avengers book”.  The best part of this issue was Beast and his hilarious banter (especially with Moon Knight), but he hasn’t even been in enough of the issues to make it worth it lately.  This book was supposed to be the secret black ops Avengers squad but they’re missions aren’t SO covert and SO secret/special to warrant their own book.  I (and probably other fans) were somewhat led to believe that this was would be more like X-Force and that’s been a big part of the letdown.  The stories are drawn out and don’t seem to have any effects on anything else, which to me just makes the whole series really pointless.  I keep buying it for Beast so I am hoping that he either quits or the book gets cancelled.

No comments:

Post a Comment