Friday, October 21, 2011

Flash Review - 10/12/11


I want to apologize for the extreme lateness of this Flash Review.  School is still kicking my ass so I don't always get to these write-ups as quickly as I would like.  I appreciate the undestanding of my followers and fear not, I will never just STOP posting even if I am a bit late with things, and I promise that this late post date does not mean that everything will continue to be this late.

Alpha Flight #5 – Alpha Flight is back…to its so-so story telling…  This book has begun feeling very nostalgic in that the story telling is a bit mediocre.  Its not bad…but its not great either.  Just interesting enough to keep me reading but doesn’t excite me with thrills and wonder every time I open it like some other books do.  I will keep reading at least the next 3 issues (since it was supposed to be a maxi-series) but once those issues are up I might reconsider continuing the book.

Buffy Season 9 #2 – Buffy is back!  So much more so then she was during the last season.  Season 8 felt a little odd for the entire storyline, no bad mind you, just different and a little strange.  These first 2 issues gave are total throwback to some of the campier moments from the actual show.  Like when we are left with a cliffhanger as a demons comes for Buffy at the end of issue #1 only to find out its an out of work demons looking to collect her college loans at the beginning of the next.  CLASSIC JOSS.  Even the slow pace of the storyline (like how we still don’t really know anything that’s going on) is very much like the show where we usually didn’t find out about the main storylines for a few episodes into the season.  Keep it up Joss and this will be a huge success!

FF #10 – OK the countdown is on.  If you recall, a few weeks ago I complained that FF was boring and pointless and after issue 11, when Fantastic Four restarts, I was not going to continue it.  Well its now issue 10 and I feel the same.  They haven’t explored the kids much, the adults are still doing the same old things as before, nothing new OR exciting.  So I’m sorry Marvel but after next issue I will be dropping this title.

Fear Itself: Hulk vs. Dracula #3 – Fun book but no point.  I mean the Hulk is great and yeah Dracula is fun and all but did we really need ANOTHER Fear Itself tie-in to tell this story?  Didn’t the Hulk do enough damage already before getting launched across the ocean? The Forgiven however are an awesome group!  I don’t know that I would buy a book every month about them , but if there was a limited series and then some guest appearances I might be swayed into checking them out.  This entire series could very well be just a launch point for their story but we weren’t told that at the end so who knows.  

Generation Hope #12 – Wow.  Talk about bringing a book back to life!  Maybe some of you remember when this book first started, I was less than thrilled about it.  I wasn’t wowed by the kids, Hope was on my last nerve, and I just didn’t feel like we needed ANOTHER book.  But much like Avengers Academy, this book has really made a huge comeback!  The kids are amazing now, especially Laurie, and Hope is a lot less of a militant snot rag then she used to be.  I like that they even had her have a fling with Gabriel and the drama with Pixie that came with it.  And speaking of Pixie, I love that she is joining their team now.  I have loved her for a while but she never really had a set place in the X-men, just sorta bounced around from book to book whenever they needed transportation.  Now at last she has a place.  I will miss seeing Idie here every issue but I think she will be much better off and safer over at Wolverine’s new school.

Ghost Rider #4 - ::sigh groan:: I don’t know Marvel.  I LOVE Ghost Rider.  I was a huge Midnight Sons fan back in the 90’s (I missed the 2000’s series) and I was so psyched to get back into GR.  I was even willing to give a chance to this new female Ghost Rider.  But its just…lame.  Her attitude is annoying, her powers are too strong too quick, and the entire thing is just real boring, in my opinion.  The only thing I still see this book having for it is that Johnny Blaze is still around.  I say boot out this Alejandra chick and bring back Danny Ketch!

New Avengers #17 – Get it together guys!!  This is one of the best title Marvel puts out and it’s probably the main reason that I started collecting Avengers comics in general, but this issue was a total snore fest.  Last issue’s dramatic escape by Norman Osborn was exhilarating, and I usually feel some excitement after each issue of this book.  However, this issue was just all over the place and nothing really happened.  They had a whole issue about Daredevil joining the team…so where is  he?  Why is Spider-man wearing his FF costume to the Avengers suddenly?  Isn’t Wolverine busy starting a school, how does he have time to fight Ultimo?  And why did the writers  pull Ultimo out of their ass for this retarded issue.  This is such an amazing book so they can bury one bad issue (and this wasn’t even necessarily a BAD issue) but let’s get our acts together. With Fear Itself just ending and everything restructuring (again!) let’s just hope that New Avengers stays one of the top books!

Uncanny X-Force #17 – Un-Frickin-believable!  I love this book more and more every month.  Psylocke felt so stagnant ever since her return from the Exiles and this has really brought us back to the hardcore Psylocke from right after her Lady Mandarin days.  The relationship between her and Angel seems so much deeper and more realistic then it used to ::coughcoughcrimsondawncoughcough:: and makes everything happening here so much more believable.  I wouldn’t mind at the end of this seeing Angel be (somewhat) cured of Archangel and Psylocke being Death.  The only negative thing I have to say at all is that I feel it could have been condensed down one less issue so that ReGenesis could hit X-Force next month.  But aside from that, FLAWLESS!

X-men Legacy #257 – Ugh…I want to like this storyline, I do.  And maybe I’m just being impatient waiting for ReGenesis hits this title but I just want this story over.  We all know it ends with Alex Lorna and Rachel coming back.  We know the no one on Rogue’s team gets left behind (since they are all accounted for on a team during ReGenesis).. so I just feel like we’re wasting time waiting for it to be done with at this point.  That’s not to say that the storyline isn’t good, because it is.  I always love Shi’ar storylines, but it just feels like we’re filling empty space waiting for the storyline.  Poor planning Marvel!!

No comments:

Post a Comment