Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Flash Review - 11/16/11



Avengers Academy #22 – The best part of this issue was the intersecting of the two big stories going on right now: ReGenesis and Shattered Heroes.  It also brought us something we don’t get to see enough of, Quicksilver and Magneto.  Whenever these two hotheads get together, you just always know that it’s going to be explosive.  Other highlights: the return of Wizkid! Finesse has feelings!  And Hazmat makes inappropriate lesbians jokes at Lightspeed!  And in all this excitement, Cyclops still managed to find time to be a douche and push his newly acquired war mongering attitude.

Fear Itself #7.3: Iron Man – Just like most the the Fear Itself epilogues, this one was boring.  Yeah Iron Man fought Odin and we saw the Grey Gargoyle repent for what he had done, but who cares?  They’ve just officially dragged out Fear Itself so far that I just don’t care anymore.  It was an alright issue but it was a story that could have just been told in Iron Man’s own book.

Generation Hope #13 – Finally this title is kicking into high gear.  I’ve been reading Hope’s little adventures for months, wishing I had just burned my $3.99 instead, but now I actually find myself getting excited about what’s happening in them.  I love Pixie joining a team for real and I’m very intrigued by Velocidad’s aging problem.  The more I get to know him, the more he seems like he would belong more over in Avengers Academy with all of their power induced problems.  So excited about seeing Sebastian Shaw next issue, and I can’t wait to see how he handles Emma dumping him on an island and Namor finding out he’s alive.

Fear Itself: The Fearless #3 – BORED!  I don’t even care about these damn hammers anymore.  This honestly should have been a story that popped up next year or longer, when people had just started to forget about the hammers and then they come back.  All I see when I see #3 is “oh god there’s 9 more issues to this!”  And to make it worse, they threw the Secret Avengers in there (the worst Avengers team around) just to makes it more angsty and boring.  EPIC FAIL.

New Mutants #34 – Woo Hoo!  Blink is back and not evil!  Thank god!  I was never a fan of how they killed her during the Phalanx Covenant and never brought her back, other than her AOA version, (and I was even more against her being brought back as evil during Necrosha) so I am so excited to see her being tracked down by the New Mutants and even helping people.  Maybe she will follow X-man’s example and join the New Mutants when this is all over.  Although let’s not forget that there’s this weird “Diskhord” group doing god knows what…..I just really hope she doesn’t die.

X-Factor #227 – I’ve never had such negative feelings about an issue that I truly enjoyed before.  We were told in all the promos that this issue a cast member would die.  Since they already pulled the “kill Madrox’s dupe” thing years ago (you know, in Fallen Angels and X-Factor #100) I really didn’t think that they would even go for that…but they did!  And the only twist they bothered to throw in was that TWO dupes were killed and the first dupe killed the second dupe!  SHOCKER!  I have to be honest, I almost hope that someone else dies next issue because that was a huge disappointment.  Now on the other hand, we’ve suspected for several issues that there might be some issues with Guido because of Layla reviving him, but according to Bloodbath’s powers he really doesn’t have a soul!  Very interesting development!

X-men #21 – This book is going to be awesome any day now!  They’ve added some new and better cast members like Psylocke, Domino and Warpath, now all we need is cooler and more interesting stories.  Ever since this book started, they just haven’t been turning out the interesting stories that a core X-titles should be expected to.  First we had that crappy vampire storyline, then the Spider-man/Lizard stupidness, moving onto the the Evolutionaries (which wasn’t that bad but took too long), and let’s not forget that less than epic FF arc that we had to endure.  I am sure that with Storm finally taking a more leadership-like role (or at least it seems that way) things will brighten up in this book but so far the progress has been slow…

No comments:

Post a Comment