Friday, February 10, 2012

Flash Review - 2/2/12


Avengers Academy #25 – Well it was really nice to see them finally step up the action after a few episodes of character buildings and shady glimpses of the future, but I’m still not completely sold on this storyline.  It’s nice to see Reptil and Finesse’s future daughter and all the zaniness of the other future Academy students, but I am just not really feeling too invested in where the whole thing is going.  It was funny watching Hazmat fry X-23 and Rover’s head get taken apart, but that’s where most of the excitement was.  Even the surprise ending of Jocasta and Veil coming back wasn’t really issue-saving news.

Avengers X-Sanction #3 – Eh…it doesn’t suck but the series is a bit light.  I loved the Summers family reunion at the end of the issue but for the most part the entire run just feels like a cheap way to bring back Cable and a momentary stop over before the big Phoenix storyline coming up.  There’s only one issue left and the sotry hasn’t been boring so far so no huge complaints.  I do wish they’d been a bit more creative with Cable’s return though.

Defenders #3 – OK writers let’s calm down now! This is all getting a little bit weird.  I am totally down for the Nul storyline, and I love a Mount Wundagore tale as much as the next person but all the business with Prester John and the other Prester John is just a little much.  I’m not giving up on the series yet (mostly because Red She-hulk is so damn cool) but let’s get it together guys!

Fear Itself: The Fearless #8 – ::Sigh:: Yes everyone, I’m sorry...but this series is still happening.  The best part about this issue was guest appearances by Emma Frost and Dani Moonstar with Emma actually showing her rarely seen soft side.  The fact that she bothered to mention that Dani would not be punished shows just how far she’s come.  Other than this scene, I was bored to tears with this entire issue.  I just can’t wait for it to be over.

Uncanny X-men #6 – OK I’m a little unsure about this current story but it’s exciting at the very least.  Lots of fighting and action going on but for some reason I still find the whole Tabula Rasa situation to be a bit strange.  Maybe it’s because it reminds me of a Neo-Savage Land minus the arctic locale but who knows.  This has forever and always been my favorite title but it saddens me to say that so far Wolverine and the X-men is kicking Uncanny’s ass.  Listening to the 65 million year history of this new world from their jailer/ally was interesting, and maybe we will get to hear more about it but as far as the Immortal Man story, I’m not feeling it.

Venom #14 – I don’t usually read Venom but I decided to pick up this issue for the Circle of Four storyline and so far…eh.  The art’s not great (Red Hulk looked slightly handicapped in my opinion) and I am not really getting grabbed by the storyline.  It’s only a few weeks’ worth of issues so I’m gonna keep collecting the story to see if it gets better but definitely off to a slow start (except for the flaming centrifuge…that was cool).

X-Club #3 – The best part of this series is it’s funny take on the usually SO serious science crowd of the X-men.  Now I will be the first to admit that Madison Jeffries objectophelia is more than a little bit creepy.  I hope that the mind-talking starfish never comes off of Nemesis’ head and that we see him riding radioactive hammerheads forever!  That sadly will not be the case, but I’m at least having fun for these few issues, even if the storyline is a little iffy.

X-Factor #231 – Excuse me! Where’s Havok and Polaris.  I waited months for last issue and them to join and not only did we just get a last panel cliffhanger but now they aren’t even shown in this issue.  I’m completely over Jaime’s reality jumping adventure.  Get over it writers!  Bring him back so we can get back to the rest of the team.  I imagine Monet is going to have a LOT to say about Alex and Lorna taking over the reins of the team…and I am eager to see it!  I will say this much.  When did Deathlok cyborgs become the go to guest star for Marvel titles again?  He’s all over the place now!

No comments:

Post a Comment