Friday, July 1, 2011

Remember When Comic Books and Fans Were Fun?

Now I have only been actively at this for a few weeks now but I have a few things to say about my recently ventures into community blogging.  I have been on one site, Comic Vine for about 2 years now and I love it there! Its a great community of supportive fans all giving and hearing ideas and commentary about the latest issues as well as old back issues.  Well since I have been trying to promote this site more, I have been going to other comic blog and forum sites to try and get my name and voice out there.

WHAT...A SHOCK TO MY SYSTEM. In the past few weeks I have discovered that not every comic book fan is as open minded as myself and my friends on the Vine.  As I have been interacting with other members of the community and trying to share my thoughts and views, I have been met with a lot of scrutiny and negative feedback.  Now I by no stretch of the imagination think that everyone needs to agree, and I welcome opposing opinions to challenge my own.  I feel that contrasting opinions are what keeps meaningful dialogue going and helps promote deeper thoughts on a topic, but people that just flat out think they are right and others are wrong are just such creative interactions.

When did comic books stop being fun?  Aren't these supposed to be our escape? our release?  I moved past just reading comics and into joining the greater community because I felt like my intense hobby really enriched my life and I wanted to share that with other who felt the same, not for random people to tell me that my opinion is wrong...I get enough of that crap at home :)

Of course this is mostly just one site (which I will not name out of courtesy and respect) but if this is how collectors are getting about their book, thrashing other ideas and hanging artists/writers out to dry, then it begs the question: why bother going online to forums? 

1 comment:

  1. Hi, Pandora here reporting :)

    This, so much. there´s so much negativity and cynism in some forums that you can aks yourself if they read them because they are used to or because they enjoy them. Is hard to find fans open enough to discuss differents pov´s and ideas, and when you are only interested in sharing your thoughts on a comic, if they happen to not agree with it, then you are wrong :(.

    But well,it could be too a matter of finding the right forums and have fun talking comics again :).

    ReplyDelete