Friday, June 17, 2011

Avengers Academy Stepping It Up!!

avengers academy @golddustboi

I was going to simply review the latest issue of Avengers Academy but what I'm saying concerns more then just the one issue.

To be honest, I wasn't into this title at all.  Aside from being the weakest of the 4 Avengers titles (although Secret Avengers didn't beat it by much IMO) I really out only picked it up for Justice and Speedball (I was a huge New Warriors fan in the 90's).  The kids seemed weird and boring, the Pym/Tigra/Baby storyline seemed a little contrived and far fetched (and in Marvel that's saying a lot) and the most interesting thing was Speedball cutting himself.  

I don't know when exactly it happened but as I read issue 14 I suddenly noticed that I actually cared about these weird kids.  The teachers I had started reader for were barely in the issue and I considered picking up the next two Amazing Spider-man issues (nice marketing by the way Marvel) simply because I knew they were going to be in them.  Even Veil, who I felt was the whiniest and most annoying character, has come into her own, accepting now only her fate but also the eventual potential of her powers.  

Special mention should go to Reptil, of course.  It was a weird and surprising move when he was made class leader (much like the 1960's Cyclops) but honestly, he's really stepped up to the responsibilities of the role he was given.  Making the conscious choice to give up his adult body and become a teenager again took a lot of resolve given his tremendous insecurities and he's may doubt himself a bit but he still makes call in the middle of a fight and takes responsibility for the results.
 
I was truly just about the drop this title out of boredom but in the last few installments they've really won me over and bought themselves some time on my list.  Plus the promise of new characters and crazy plotlines is always intriguing right???

No comments:

Post a Comment